Using the following questions, you will research and produce an informative leaflet relating to the historical background of the novel. Your target audience will be Year 9 pupils.
What were secondary modern schools?
What were grammar schools?
How was the decision made about which school pupils were sent to?
What was the school leaving age in the 1960’s?
What were most secondary modern pupils encouraged to do after leaving school?
What were most grammar school pupils encouraged to do after leaving school?
What were the main differences between the two types of schools?
What was corporal punishment and how was it used in schools?
Top tips for success:
- Don’t just copy and paste; use your own words
- Pick out what’s relevant to your Year 9 audience and get rid of what isn’t (think about how you approached the ‘kestrel task’)
- Swap any unfamiliar vocabulary with words which your audience will be able to understand
- Read your leaflet carefully and ask yourself: is the information useful to YOU; if not, change it……
- Most importantly…
- The end product should be handwritten!